Exercise is an essential part of any weight loss regime and of course lifelong weight management. Regular exercise also assists with reducing insulin resistance, maintaining normal blood sugar levels, building muscle mass, keeping your metabolism up, improving heart function, reducing stress levels, improving energy and making you feel good – all factors vital for good health and longevity.
- The most benefit is gained from regular exercise: 5 or more days per week
- Aim for 30 minutes duration
- Start by moving for as long as you can
- Walk on flat level or swim, as you progress add in some hills, increase the pace and duration until you get to 30 minutes
To specifically target fat burning try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). This can be applied to many forms of exercise e.g. running, cycling, swimming or rowing.
- Warm up
- Do chosen exercise for 1 minute as fast as you can (e.g. sprint)
- Then have 1 minute recovery
- Repeat for around 10 – 20 minutes